We all know vitamins and minerals are good for us. Vitamins and minerals are essential for a healthy life. So here is our low down on just two of them- Magnesium and Zinc.
Magnesium is a mineral that is essential for life.
Magnesium assists in:
- The functioning of the nervous system and muscles
- Helps with energy production
- Reduces tiredness
- Helps with electrolyte balance
- Helps keep bones and teeth healthy
You can boost your magnesium intake by simply eating different foods. Dietary sources of Magnesium include:
- Green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, legumes, nuts, seeds, and whole grains
- Foods containing dietary fibre
- Magnesium is also added to some breakfast cereals and other fortified foods
It is often difficult however to reach the recommended dietary allowance for magnesium using diet alone. Magnesium can also be taken as a supplement. Magnesium glycinate is a highly absorbable form of magnesium. It is well tolerated especially by those with sensitive digestive systems!
Zinc is a mineral crucial for the body. It is especially important for the brain, immune system, bones, vision and hormones.
- Necessary for immune system functionality
- Zinc assists in adequate production of hormones and helps the reproduction system. Zinc also supports the maintenance of blood levels of testosterone
- Helps to maintain the strength of the bones, hair, nails and skin
- Cognitive function requires adequate levels of zinc
- Zinc is important for vision
Again, Zinc can be boosted by eating foods rich in Zinc. These are:
- Red meat and poultry
- Beans and nuts
- Certain types of seafood, including crab and lobster
- Whole grains
- Fortified breakfast cereals
- Dairy products
Supplements are also a great and easy source of Zinc. When choosing a supplement it is important to consider how absorbable and bio available the zinc supplied is:
- Zinc Picolinate is a highly absorbable form of zinc
- Picolinic acid is used by the body absorb and transport certain minerals
Our clinicians focus on all areas of health advising on minerals and nutrients to support a health lifestyle. Vitamin level testing can also be provided.